6 tips for starting a YouTube channel - A guide for beginners
So you want to start a YouTube channel, but you're not sure how to get started. Maybe you're wondering: What should my channel focus on? What equipment do I need? What video editing software should I use? Well, anyone can start a YouTube channel, but for it to be successful, finding the best answers to these and other questions is crucial. It may seem like a huge task, but in this article we're going to try to answer these and some other questions that you may have. Let us help you become the next YouTube superstar.
1. Choose a Channel Topic that Stands Out
As of January 2020, there were more than 50 million users creating content on YouTube channels, with 500 hours of video being upload every minute according to this digital marketing agency. So if you want to get noticed, you need to find a channel topic that stands out. One way to do this is to create a channel that aligns with a passion of yours. But you need to keep in mind that many people may have the same passion, so you need to find a way to make your channel original and imaginative. For example, if you are a graffiti artist, don't just create a channel containing videos of your finished work.
Try posting how-to videos on painting techniques. Take it a step further and make a time-lapse videos of you creating your artwork. Creating videos that will make your channel unique will draw in viewers who will subscribe and want more.
2. Choose a Great Name
This may be an afterthought to most, but the name for your YouTube channel will make a difference. A good place to start when thinking of a name is to include the channel focus in the name, making it relevant to the content. For example, "Graffiti Art 101". You should also try making the name memorable, by using rhyming or alliterations, e.g. "Gary's Graffiti Gallery". You can also think about modeling your name after YouTube channels you like, by finding a variation to an existing channel name.
3. Get the Right Equipment
Making videos for a YouTube channel requires more than just a smart phone. Here is a list of all the things you will need to get started:
• Video camera: while today's smart phones can shoot some pretty impressive videos, you may want to think about investing in a DSLR or other camera, depending on your needs.
• Microphone: it's a good idea to purchase a good microphone for shooting videos. Sound is often overlooked, but is extremely important for making great videos.
• Tripod: get a good tripod for your video camera. It will be your best friend while you're shooting video, especially if you are making the videos by yourself.
• Lights: depending on where most of your videos will be shot, getting some lights could be important. If you shoot mostly outside during the day, a light won't really be needed. But any video shot indoors will be enhanced with one or more lights.
• Video editing software: Video editing software can help you arrange your video footage, apply titles, and even add music and special effects.
4. Invest in Video Editing Software
If you want your videos to look professional, you need to invest in video editing software. There is a lot of video editing software to choose from, but you can get started now by downloading PowerDirector Essential for free.
PowerDirector includes many cool and essential features you can take advantage of to create great YouTube content. Features such as:
• Multi-key Sampling Chroma Key Editing for green screen effect.
• Multi-track timeline editing to freely assemble your videos with title, PiP (picture in picture), effects and music.
• Video Collage Designer - creates fully customizable collages with effects including animated openings and endings.
• MultiCam Designer - lets you switch among video footage shot from different cameras.
• Action Camera Center - designed for action cameras and drone users to quickly edit, correct and enhance your footage.
• One-click color correction, intelligent color match, and color grading.
• Fast video rendering and easy YouTube upload.
To keep viewers interested, your edited videos should have music, professional looking graphics and titles, and more. With a PowerDirector 365 subscription, you instantly get access to a huge library of titles and effects, and hundreds of background music tracks and sound effect clips, with more being added each month.
5. Learn to Edit
To make your videos stand out they need to look polished and professional. You want your viewers to be engaged in your videos, not distracted by jump cuts, unnecessary edits, etc. This is why learning how to edit engaging videos is important. CyberLink’s Learning Center has everything you'll need to make this happen. There you can watch dozens of video tutorials on video editing, view webinars for editing tips, and more.
6. Upload Your First YouTube Video
Now comes the fun part – creating and uploading your first YouTube video for your channel. Your first video should introduce yourself and what your channel will focus on. It’s a good idea to post your intro video along with your first channel video so viewers can first get a better understanding of what you plan to do with your channel and then immediately have your first video to watch.
After setting up your channel, shooting and editing your video, you can upload it directly to your new channel from within most video editing software titles, including PowerDirector. You can also manually upload your video on your YouTube channel page, which allows for more control over the video’s settings.
Once uploaded, share it as much as you can. Share it on social media, with friends, family, and coworkers. Then go out and make your next video. Now that you have the tools, there is nothing stopping you except your drive and creativity.
Get PowerDirector 365 Essential for Free
Take your videos to the next level with the best video editor for Windows PC