5 Best Photo Animation Apps on iPhone/Android
If a picture is worth a thousand words, then an animated photo speaks volumes. Whether you want to replay a memorable moment or relive a hilarious scene, an animated image can place you in the middle of the action.
You don’t need years of photo editing or video effects experience to create amazing animated images with a quality photo animation app. However, finding the best animating pictures app for Android and iPhone isn’t easy. With thousands of photo editor apps from which to choose, you could spend hours experimenting before discovering a functional, ad-free option that suits your needs.
We created this guide to help you find the five best apps to animate images on the go. Each of these apps has countless fun features that will allow you to easily create and share animated images.
Best Photo Animator
PhotoDirector’s user-friendly interface combines professional-quality tools with guided modules that make editing simple. Whether you’ve got years of experience or have just begun your journey as a photographer, you can dive in and take on your toughest creative challenges with PhotoDirector.
Simply put, PhotoDirector blows the competition away with its wide variety of features and options to animate photos.
The app’s AI-powered module guides you through each step. Simply draw your movement paths, pin or freeze the areas you would like to remain in place, and save and export your file.
Bring grey and cloudy outdoor pictures to life with the one-tap Sky Replacement feature. Choose from a wide and diverse set of options.
Add animated decorations and lively wrap-around photo effects that will catch your followers’ attention.
Channel your inner Thanos and add an animated dispersion effect to your photos.
Add animated overlays, bokeh, and sparkle effects.
Once you’re finished editing, there is no need to toggle between apps as you can share to Instagram, Facebook, and other social media platforms directly within the PhotoDirector app.
- Guided animation modules for easy editing
- A wide range of professional editing tools
- Features a simple, user-friendly dashboard
- Includes dozens of animated decorations, stickers, and overlays
- Offers AI-powered technology for easy object removal and sky replacement
- Includes ads in the free version of the app
Werble’s quirky visual effects and simplified dashboard make it a suitable choice for casual social media users. The animation effects definitely won’t result in professional-quality photos. Still, the app can add a unique touch to your fun images thanks to various effects packets and animated overlays.
Despite the app’s user-friendly layout, it falls short when compared to PhotoDirector. For example, you can only access the app’s best animation tools with the premium version.
- Dozens of visual effects templates
- A solid lineup of movement presets
- Features customizable animation tools
- Supports layers for unique animation
- Does not offer guided modules or clearly labeled tools
ImgPlay allows beginners to create unique animated photos without a steep learning curve. The app features a variety of simplified functions and a customizable editing interface.
However, the app falls short when comparing it to a high-quality comprehensive editor like PhotoDirector for several reasons. First, ImgPlay limits clip duration to one minute. Secondly, you must purchase a premium subscription to access many of its tools and effects.
- Beginner-friendly tools for easy editing
- Personalizable effects and filters
- Includes a customizable editing interface
- Creates animated photos from multiple file formats
- Places a watermark on animations that you create with the free version
Pixaloop features several animation tools that can help you turn your photos into short videos. You can even customize your animation paths by drawing the movement on the screen.
That said, going through the steps of creating an animated photo in Pixaloop requires a significant amount of time. And the app doesn’t include guided modules, like PhotoDirector. As a result, novice users may experience a considerable learning curve.
- Customizable movement settings
- AI-powered animation features
- Includes preset animation templates
- Features an array of camera FX tools
- Requires a substantial amount of time to animate images
Movepic simplifies the animation process with preset overlays and templates. Unlike other apps, Movepic makes it easy to apply basic edits to photos before animating. You can even choose from themed filters to suit your images.
Despite these creative features, Movepic’s capabilities pale in comparison to PhotoDirector. Also, Movepic only supports movie files instead of social media-friendly GIFs.
- Dozens of themed presets for easy editing
- Wide range of filters and decorations
- Provides animation templates
- Allows easy movement customization
- Limits creativity with fewer overlays
Use the Best Photo Animation App to Make Moving Pictures on iPhone/Android
Animated photos add a pop of excitement and intrigue to your social media posts. Stand out from the crowd by capturing the fun of special events like birthdays, family gatherings, and vacations with photos that move.
You no longer need to be an expert to attempt photo animation. The technique previously required advanced editing tools, hours of tutorials, tedious trial and error, and plenty of experience is now easier than ever to accomplish with user-friendly apps like PhotoDirector and this short tutorial where you can learn how to animate photos in minutes.
To start creating, download PhotoDirector for iPhone and Android today.