Best Video Editing Software for Mac in 2021
The best video editing software options enable you to produce high-quality videos right from your computer.
The interest in editing videos has skyrocketed in popularity in recent years.
Video-based social media platforms like YouTube and TikTok have taken the world by storm, leading many to dive into the world of editing who would otherwise never have considered it. And as more people have begun spending more time and working from home, software that enables them to edit videos from their computers has been in high demand.
You can find dozens of video editing programs on the market with a variety of different features and price tags. However, with so many options available, it can be challenging to determine which software might be right for your needs and how much you should expect to pay.
We have compiled a list of the best programs for beginners, professionals, and everyone in between. Read on to learn more about the best video editing software options.
- The Best Video Editor on Mac for 2021
- Best Video Editing Software for Mac
- Best Video Editing Software FAQ
- Final Thoughts
The Best Video Editor on Mac for 2021
1. PowerDirector 365: The Best Choice for You
When it comes to straight-forward, simple video editing platforms, Cyberlink’s PowerDirector is at the top of the list. This program offers a comprehensive collection of incredibly powerful tools designed for editors of all skill levels. Create videos that will grow your YouTube Channel or cut together some home movies. This editor is perfect for projects of all sizes.
2. Adobe Premiere Pro: The Best Choice for Professionals
Adobe knows how to make quality creative programs and Premiere Pro is no exception. As the professional industry-standard, Premiere Pro provides all of the tools that expert editors need.
3. Final Cut Pro X: The Best Video Choice for Apple Loyalist
If you’re someone who wants everything Apple, Final Cut Pro X is for you. In typical fashion, Apple has created a video editing software, with intelligent design, made for professionals to produce Hollywood-quality projects.
Best Video Editing Software for Mac
1. PowerDirector 365 - Best video editing software for Mac
- Easy learning curve to get you editing in no time
- Fully loaded with basic and premium features
- Built-in transitions, templates, and overlay effects
- Multiple updates throughout year including new, exclusive features and creative packs
- Simple & powerful plug-in for creating video collages
- Advanced tools for creating effects based videos
- Mac version isn’t quite as comprehensive as Windows version
PowerDirector is a premium video editing program that offers easy-to-navigate features for beginners, expert editors, and everyone in between. It includes professional tools that won’t break the bank but can turn your videos into Hollywood-level works of art.
Users new to the editing world will appreciate the program’s free tutorials that walk you through its features step-by-step.
This program includes features such as:
- Video effects, overlays, titles, and transitions
- Ability to save videos to a hard drive in several formats, publish to YouTube, or share on Facebook
- Square and vertical aspect ratios for social media clips
- Motion-graphic titles
- Drag-&-Drop Effects
- Timeline interface
PowerDirector Mac Essentials - FREE YouTube Video Editor
2. Adobe Premiere ProBest video editing software for Professionals
- Professional-quality tools and interface
- Compatibility within Creative Cloud
- Steep learning curve especially for beginners
- Requires a high performing computer
- Expensive / subscription-based
If creating videos professionally is your thing, Adobe Premiere Pro is the tool you need to be using. This program is an industry standard, and professionals use it to produce content for mainstream media. The range of features and professional-level quality makes the hefty price tag worthwhile.
Premiere Pro features:
- Precise editing and trimming tools
- Automatic functionality
- Advanced editing features
3. Final Cut Pro XBest video editing software for Mac Loyalist
- Not subscription-based
- Intuitive interface
- Steep Learning Curve
If you are an advanced video editor with a Mac, Final Cut Pro X is the best program for you. This program has a selection of smart features and a clean, intelligent interface that will enable you to create Hollywood-level videos from your desktop. Paying the one-time cost of $300 will give you access to all of its features forever.
Final Cut Pro X includes features such as:
- Color balancing
- Magnetic timeline
- Range-of-effect options
4. DaVinci ResolveBest video editing software for color correction and audio
- Multi-user collaboration options
- Intuitive interface
- Cross-platform capabilities
- Steep learning curve
- Needs a powerful computer
- Cannot export directly to social media
- Operates best with specially designed expensive hardware
For a free program, DaVinci Resolve offers incredible high-end features that go above and beyond simple editing tools. The program’s detailed color correction allows you to adjust skin tones and eye color with ease, and its audio production options produce professional-level sounds.
DaVinci Resolve features:
- Quality audio editing tools
- Color correction
- Fusion editing modules
5. Apple iMovieBest video editing software for beginners on a budget
- Excellent audio editing tools for a basic editor
- Not built for professional results
- Lacks advanced features like motion tracking
iMovie is a video editing program that comes pre-installed on Mac devices. It features a range of editing tools to create a polished video. iMovie also stands out for including premium audio-editing options that you can’t find in a lot of other free software.
iMovie includes features such as:
- Automated video editing
- Audio and soundtrack adjustments
- Transitions, overlays, effects, and slicing tools
6. Hitfilm ExpressBest video editing software for professionals on a budget
- Free professional features
- 3D effects support
- Affordable add-ons
- Tricky interface to learn
Hitfilm Express is a good choice when it comes to premium, professional software that won’t break your budget. Most of its features are free but it does require some time to learn.
Hitfilm Express features advanced editing options like:
- Layers and masking
- Range of import formats
- 180+ editing effects
7. Adobe Premiere ElementsBest video editing software for beginners
Minimum system requirements: Minimum system requirements: MacOS 10.13, 4 GB RAM, 7.4 GB available hard disk space;
- Simple interface
- Artificial intelligence features
- 4K support
- Can perform slowly with heavy use
- Has limited functions
Premiere Elements is Adobe’s basic video editing software. Users who are new to video editing or are looking to edit videos for fun will find the interface easy to navigate with all of the necessary features. The program’s AI tools will walk you through some of the steps of the video editing process.
Premiere Elements includes features such as:
- A decent selection of effects
- Smart functionality
- Video stabilization options
Best Video Editing Software FAQ
What do most YouTubers use to edit their videos?
The best video editor for YouTube comes down to what features you feel you need. Some YouTubers use professional software like Adobe Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve while a lot opt for a good inbetween program like PowerDirector 365. PowerDirector has a unique balance of professional results while being really easy to use. Knowing how to utilize your program is just as important as having the best editing software for YouTube. You can make excellent videos with the affordable programs on our list, though the advanced ones do have their benefits.
What is the best video editing software for beginners?
Several of the programs above are suitable for beginners. PowerDirector, iMovie, and Adobe Premiere Elements all utilize simple, easy-to-navigate platforms, and you can find tutorials for many of their editing techniques.
You can’t go wrong using any of these programs; they all include the basic features you’ll need to create a quality video along with several advanced tools. Some are better for professional editing, while others are more suitable for hobbyists or beginners. Thankfully, many offer free trials or are always free, so you can test the waters before you invest.
However, becoming comfortable with a program's features is just as important as choosing the right one. Any of these software options can create amazing videos if you know how to use them.
Download PowerDirector 365 today to begin your video editing journey, then check out other programs to edit photos, watch movies, and more.
PowerDirector Mac Essentials - FREE YouTube Video Editor
Get PowerDirector Mac for Free
PowerDirector for macOS is available for free download on the CyberLink website and the Apple Mac Store. Choose how you download the app - 100% free and secure.
Prefer to download from the Mac App Store? Visit the store to grab the free video editor.