5 Best Facebook Cover Photo Makers [Windows, Mac]
A Facebook page cover has significant visual real estate on your business or personal page. Making optimal use of it can help promote your brand and create a unique identity. However, most people find creating the perfect cover photo challenging, especially when starting from a blank canvas.
A few things to keep in mind when creating your cover is your image needs to be the correct size, and you need to make sure that your text and imagery are engaging. You may also want to include animations or graphic elements to add personality to your cover. To do this you will need a Facebook cover maker.
This guide reviews the five best Facebook cover photo makers for PC to help you create the perfect profile. Keep reading to find the best Facebook cover photo maker for your needs.
- Top 3 Facebook Cover Photo Makers Snapshot
- What is a Facebook Cover Photo?
- 5 Best Facebook Cover Photo Makers on Mac and Windows
- PhotoDirector 365 – Best Overall
- Fotor - Best for Brands
- Paintshop Pro - Best for Intermediate Photo Editors
- Photoshop - Best for Professional Photo Editors
- PicMonkey - Best for Businesses
- How To Make a Facebook Cover Photo
- Best Facebook Cover Photo Maker Free Download
- Facebook Cover Photo Maker FAQs
Top 3 Facebook Cover Photo Makers Snapshot
3. Paintshop Pro – Best for Intermediate Photo Editors
A robust image editing software for Windows offering a wide range of tools for creating Facebook cover photos. More Info >
What is a Facebook Cover Photo?
A Facebook cover photo is an image on a Facebook profile used as a large banner graphic that visitors see first when they visit a personal or business page.
5 Best Facebook Cover Photo Makers on Mac and Windows
1. PhotoDirector – Best Overall
Compatibility: Windows, Mac
Overall Rating: 10/10
Facebook Cover Maker: 10/10
PhotoDirector is a versatile software that is easy to use, even if you have no experience with image editing. It includes all the essential features you need for Facebook cover photo creation, including resizing, photo stock libraries, and direct social media uploading.
PhotoDirector's adjustment workspace offers an extensive range of professional enhancements, including adjustment sliders for brightness, exposure, tone, and color saturation. You get all the features you need to create engaging Facebook covers within the guided tools, including dispersions, animation effects, sky replacement, and light rays. If you need complete control, use the program's layer-editing to piece together whatever your imagination can dream up.
Reasons to Recommend:
- Intuitive user interface
- Static and animation effect libraries
- Professional layer support and AI tools
- Detailed text controls, including fonts, size adjustments, and kerning
- Facebook-friendly animation design features
2. Fotor – Best for Brands
Image from Fotor.
Compatibility: Web browser
Overall Rating: 8/10
Facebook Cover Maker: 9/10
Fotor is an online Facebook cover photo maker that is ideal for brands that need to provide their audiences with regular social content updates.
This editor offers free templates with the correct dimensions, and you can browse various themes, such as Christmas or Easter. You can also access and edit niche-specific templates. After selecting a template, creating your cover photo only requires a few clicks.
3. Paintshop Pro - Best for Intermediate Photo Editors
Overall Rating: 8/10
Facebook Cover Maker: 7/10
PaintShop Pro is a great photo editor for those with some editing experience. You can make a fantastic-looking Facebook cover photo with its traditional layer editing interface.
Its latest features include AI background replacement and AI style transfer, an effect that transforms your photos into art resembling the styles of famous painters, such as Van Gogh.
Both of these can help speed up your cover photo creation, and if you’re a novice photo editor, PhotoDirector also offers these features.
Some drawbacks of PaintShop Pro include incompatibility with macOS and slow operations.
4. Photoshop - Best for Professional Photo Editors
Compatibility: Windows, Mac
Overall Rating: 7/10
Facebook Cover Maker: 6/10
Adobe Photoshop is a powerful image editor and a viable option for creating Facebook cover images. Layer creation and editing are the most valuable features for creating social media images. With Photoshop, you can manipulate and change each layer to combine the elements from different images and create engaging visuals. Photoshop also lets you resize your image to the correct Facebook cover dimensions.
Photoshop offers professional effects and image enhancement, but its user interface might be too advanced for beginner or intermediate image editors.
5. PicMonkey – Best for Businesses
Compatibility: Web browser
Overall Rating: 6/10
Facebook Cover Maker: 8/10
PicMonkey is an online image editor you can use to create high-quality Facebook cover photos. You can crop or resize images, adjust color brightness and exposure, and add effects and filters using this subscription service. PicMonkey also lets you create a logo, business cards, and allows you to watermark your images, which is ideal for businesses.
How To Make a Facebook Cover Photo
Below is a how-to guide you can follow to design a cover photo using PhotoDirector.
- After downloading and launching PhotoDirector on your computer, the first step is importing the main image you want to use for your Facebook cover image. Click on the library icon in the top left corner of your screen, then select the hard drive folder containing the image to open it. In the folder, select the image, then click Open. The image will appear in the PhotoDirector editor, ready for editing.
- With a photo selected, open the Adjustment tab, and click on Manual. Then, click on the cropping icon under Regional Adjustment Tools to view your cropping options.
- From the Area drop-down menu, select Enter Custom. Enter the aspect ratio values of 16:9 in the field, then click Okay. You can manually resize the image while maintaining the correct aspect ratio for a Facebook Cover photo.
- After completing the design of your new Facebook cover photo, select File in the top right corner. Here, you can save the image as a file on your hard drive or share it on your Facebook page.
If you would like to use a stock image, find and download one using the Premium Stock button in the bottom left of the screen.
When your image is the right size for a Facebook cover, you can start with basic editing using the Global Adjustment Tools. You can access these tools by clicking on Adjustment, then on the Manual tab. The tools you can use to make initial image enhancements include:
- White balance to make color corrections
- Level to redefine your image’s color levels
- Curve to adjust the photo’s tonal scale
- HSL/Color for hue, saturation, and lightness adjustments
After making the basic image edits, you can add effects under the Guided tab or edit using layers under the Edit tab.
When layer editing, you can add text, shapes, or other elements, click on Add Empty Layer, then use the layer tools to add additional elements.
You can also select Add Photo Layer to add a logo, photo, or another element to your Facebook cover. This feature is handy if you want to blend photos to create a unique and engaging image.
Best Facebook Cover Photo Maker Free Download
A cover photo is one of the most visible social media elements. You can use it to provide your audience with valuable information and updates, such as approaching seasonal sales or special offers.
You don’t need professional image editing skills to create a compelling Facebook cover photo. Easy-to-use photo editors are available for Windows and Mac. We recommend PhotoDirector as the best Facebook cover photo maker because it gives you the most creative flexibility while being easy to use.
No matter your skill level, you will be able to produce high-quality, stunning imagery that will catch Facebook users' attention. Download PhotoDirector for free today to see what you can create.
Facebook Cover Photo Maker FAQs
1. What is the best pixel size for Facebook cover photos?
Facebook displays cover photos at an image size of 820 px by 312 px on desktop and 640 px by 360 px on mobile. Ideally, you need to select an image size that displays correctly on both devices. We recommend an image size of 851 px by 315 px.
When using PhotoDirector, you can select the Facebook cover sizing option, and the program will automatically adjust your image size.
2. How do I change the cover photo on Facebook?
- Log into your Facebook account and click on your profile to view your existing cover photo.
- Click on Edit Cover Photo in the bottom right corner of your cover photo.
- Then, select Upload Photo from the drop-down menu.
If you already shared your new cover photo to Facebook from PhotoDirector, click on Select Photo in the drop-down menu, then choose the image from the relevant album.
3. How do I make a cover photo private?
Follow the steps below to make your Facebook cover photo private:
- Use the View As tool to see which content on your page is public
- Click on Photos
- Locate your new cover photo and open it
- Under Settings, select Edit post audience
- Click the audience for your cover photo, for example, friends, specific friends, or close friends
4. How do I delete a cover photo on Facebook?
- Open Photos on your profile, then select Cover Photos. Here, you can view all the cover photos you uploaded.
- Locate the cover photo you want to delete, then click on the pencil icon to the top right of the photo thumbnail.
- From the drop-down menu, select Delete Photo.
Facebook will notify you that deleting the cover photo will also delete the post on your timeline. Click Delete to permanently remove the cover photo.
5. How do I make a Facebook cover photo collage?
- Launch the PhotoDirector app on your mobile device, then select Collage from the start screen.
- Next, select up to six images you want to include in your collage, then tap the tick mark to continue.
- Select a collage layout that fits the Facebook cover dimensions and click the download button to save the collage to your local storage. You can also share the image directly to Facebook.
6. Where do I find images for Facebook cover photos?
PhotoDirector offers access to iStock and Shutterstock images, and you can browse and add these images using the editor.
7. What features should I look for in a Facebook Cover Photo Maker?
The best Facebook cover photo makers offer the following:
- A user-friendly interface
- An image resizing tool
- Essential photo enhancement tools, such as brightness, contrast, and saturation
- Professional effects
- Access to stock images
- Overlays, such as stickers
- Layer editing
- Social media sharing
- Background replacement tools
- Text tools
8. What are some good ideas for Facebook cover photos?
When creating a new Facebook cover photo, keep the following in mind:
- Place text, images, and other elements to the sides of your cover image, balancing it out with your profile picture in the middle.
- Try to integrate the elements on your cover photo with your profile picture, for example, by using the same color scheme.
- Add calls to action to your cover photo, especially when advertising events or limited offers.
- Use your Facebook cover to display brand-related elements, such as your slogan.