How to Trim a Video for Free [Windows, Mac]
Trimming is one of the most critical processes in video post-production. It involves removing a part of the beginning or end of a video clip.
When creating video content, you may have unwanted footage that makes your clips less compelling or affects the transition between clips. By trimming or shortening a video clip, you can focus just on the parts of the video that you find the most interesting. In doing so, you create a smoother flow and a more cohesive story.
If your project only consists of a single clip, trimming allows you to remove any footage that doesn’t add value to your video. In addition, optimizing your content through trimming makes it easier to capture and keep your audience’s attention.
This guide looks at the steps you can follow to trim a video on a Windows or Mac with the best free video cutter software, PowerDirector.
Download PowerDirector to start trimming your videos for free.
How to Trim a Video
After downloading and installing PowerDirector, launch it and follow these steps to trim a single video clip.
- Upload your video file into PowerDirector.
- Add your video clip to the timeline.
- Hover your mouse cursor on the left or right edge of the track. An icon with adjustment arrows will appear on either side of the track edge. Click and drag the arrows to the point where you want to cut the video.
To trim your video using the PowerDirector trimming tool, follow these steps.
- After adding and importing your clips to the editing timeline, click the Trim button. This button is in the top left of your screen and looks like a scissor.
- The trim window will open, and there you can choose between Single Trim and Multi Trim. With Single Trim, drag the play head to where you want the video to start, then click the Mark In button.
- Next, drag the play head to where you want the video to stop, and click on the Mark Out button. After finishing, click OK to save changes to the timeline.
With the Multi Trim feature, you can remove multiple segments from your clip. This tool is helpful for cutaways, and it works in the same way as Single Trim.
- Move the play head to the start and end times you want for your video and mark the points using the Mark In and Mark Out buttons.
- After marking all the starting and stopping points, click OK to add the clips to your timeline.
Download the Best Software to Trim a Video for Free
Video trimming is one of the most useful editing features for removing unwanted footage or creating smooth transitions between clips. PowerDirector makes it easy to trim clips.
You can also use PowerDirector to:
Download PowerDirector for free to get started editing your videos.
How to Trim Videos FAQ
1. What is the Difference between Trimming a Video vs Splitting vs Cropping?
Trimming a video is when you remove part of the beginning or end of the clip.
Splitting a video is when you cut a video clip into two separate pieces via the middle of the clip.
Cropping a video is when you reframe a video by moving or adjusting the edges.
2. What Features Should I Look for in a Video Trimmer?
The top ten features you should look out for in a video trimmer are:
- Ease of use
- Trim/Split/Crop tools
- Transition effects
- Titles and motion graphics
- Color correction
- Audio tools
- Video speed controls
- AI-powered tools
- Fast rendering
- CPU and hardware optimization
3. Should I Pay for Software to Trim my Videos?
If all you want is to trim a single video, you should not need to pay for software, as most free and basic editors will let you do this. However, paying for video editing software will benefit you if you want to do more with your videos, like adding stylized transitions, adding fun visual effects, or creating videos from templates. You will save time and typically end up with a high-quality result.
4. How Much Does a Video Trimmer Cost?
A video trimmer is a video editing app or software. A quality video editor can range anywhere from $2-10 a month for a subscription to $400 for a one-time purchase.