10 Best Apps to Remove People from Photos on iPhone & Android
Whether you're a professional photographer or just shooting for fun, it's easy for unwanted people or objects to sneak their way into your frame.
Luckily, a few great apps on both Android and iOS can remove a person from photos or eliminate unwanted content in just a few seconds. This article will show you how to remove people from photos and the best photo retouch apps.
- Snapshot of the Top 3 Free Apps To Remove People from Photos
- How to Choose the Best App for Removing Objects?
- How Do We Test the Best Apps to Remove People From Photos?
- 10 Best Apps to Remove People from Photos
- PhotoDirector - Best Choice Overall To Remove People from Photos
- YouCam Perfect - Best for Beauty Touch-ups
- TouchRetouch - Best for Removing Objects Quickly
- Snapseed - Best for Advanced Customizations
- Adobe Photoshop Fix - Best for Existing Adobe Users
- PhotoRetouch-Object Removal - Best for Quick Edits
- PhotoRetouch : Remove Objects - Best for Beginners
- Remove Objects - Best for Simple Photos
- Lightleap - Best for Photo Retouching
- Object Removal - Retouch Tunes - Best for Advanced Removal
Snapshot of the Top 3 Free Apps To Remove People from Photos
1. PhotoDirector - Best Choice Overall To Remove People from Photos
The best all-in-one photo editor for iPhone or Android is PowerDirector. It includes a full suite of AI-powered tools and features to edit your videos quickly and easily with pro-level results. Overall, if you are only looking for solutions to remove a person from photos, this app is the easiest and quickest option available. Detailed Review >
2. YouCam Perfect - Best Choice for Beauty Touch Ups
YouCam Perfect is a versatile photo editing app that excels at facial touchups of selfies that include skin smoothening, blemish removal, teeth whitening, and more. It’s also equipped with AI tools to easily remove a person from photos. Detailed Review >
3. TouchRetouch - Best Choice To Declutter Photos
This app is optimized to remove a person from photos, or to remove any unwanted object for that matter. It’s able to eliminate complicated objects like power lines and mesh wiring easily using AI technology. Detailed Review >
How to Choose the Best App for Removing Objects?
Photo editing methods to remove people from photos might sound tedious. But luckily nowadays a lot of apps provide a one- or two-click solution to remove a person from photos. If you are lucky, the photo editing tool in your phone might have already provided you with a “magic eraser” tool that lets you quickly remove people in photos. However, these integrated tools usually lack the accuracy that other specialized apps have.
That’s where our list of the best apps to remove people from photos comes into play! We took some of the load off your shoulders when it comes to choosing and categorizing the apps in our list, so it’s easier for you to find the one that best suits your needs and what kind of objects you want to remove.
How Do We Test the Best Apps to Remove People From Photos?
Besides looking for apps that support features to remove people from photos, we also look at the tool's accuracy and the community rating on the App Store and Google Play Store.
Other items that we review are:
- Mobile-friendly interface
- Easy-to-use features
- Precise control for further edits and adjustments
Additionally, we also check if the apps have basic photo editing features and unique editing features that set them apart from the competition. So, read on to find out which app is the best to remove people from photos.
10 Best Apps to Remove People from Photos
1. PhotoDirector - Best Choice Overall To Remove People from Photos
There's nothing worse than going through your vacation camera roll only to find a litany of tourists and photo bombers. Thankfully, you can easily remove people from photos using PhotoDirector's advanced Removal tool. The app allows you to zoom in and adjust the brush size for greater precision. Unlike other apps, PhotoDirector's Removal tool will enable you to remove unwanted objects against complicated backgrounds, such as steps and architectural lines.
PhotoDirector is more than an app used to remove people from photos. It offers a wide selection of editing features, including animated decorations, sky replacement, background replacement, overlays, and light effects.
With so many features at your fingertips, there are tons of creative ways to retouch your pictures. Rather than remove a person from a photo, why not blur them out instead? Blur effects can add an artistic touch to drab or distracting backgrounds. Select from blur styles to soften backgrounds, draw focus and add depth. Perfect for a profile pic or a snap of your kids.
Besides just features to remove people from photos, PhotoDirector has all you'll need to put any other finishing touches on your images.
- Includes a wide range of photo editing tools and photo animation effects
- Advanced layer editing options to create complex, multi-layered images
- AI-powered tools to remove people from photos
- Access to templates and stock images
- New content updated monthly
2. YouCam Perfect - Best for Beauty Touch-ups
YouCam Perfect is a camera and photo editing app that offers a wide selection of photo effects, camera filters, collage options, stickers, frames, and animated effects.
You can erase unwanted background objects or remove people from photos with the intelligent object removal tool. You'll get a clear, polished picture in mere seconds. In addition, when you upgrade to YouCam Perfect Premium, you'll receive unlimited access to 1000+ exclusive features and be able to save your photos in HD.
YouCam Perfect is not only a solid option for a robust photo editing app, but it's also easy to learn and fun to use as well.
- Compatible with YouCam Makeup and YouCam Video
- Includes a range of beautification tools to whiten teeth, remove blemishes, reshape faces, etc
- Easily remove people from photos
- Photos can be saved to the app’s cloud backup, allowing you to access images across multiple devices
- Allows you to layer multiple images, stickers, and text
3. TouchRetouch - Best for Removing Objects Quickly
TouchRetouch is an editing app that focuses solely on object removal, including blemishes, wrinkles, and text, and is best for quickly removing multiple objects in the same photo.
To erase a power line from your photo, you can select from either the Brush tool or the Lasso tool. This will only mark a portion of the line, and the app will remove the rest on its own. So there's no need to be precise or spend a lot of time highlighting the objects or people that need to be removed.
Of the apps to remove a person from photos, this one definitely stands out because it can remove content quickly, perfect for when you're in a hurry. But since it doesn't offer any other editing tools, it's a great addition to a more comprehensive app like PhotoDirector.
- Able to remove complicated objects such as power lines and mesh
- Eliminates objects like street signs, trash cans, stop lights, and people
- Includes a Quick Repair feature to remove micro imperfections
4. Snapseed - Best for Advanced Customizations
Snapseed is a free photo editing app created by Google and available on Android and iOS. It includes a range of editing tools such as color tuning and blur effects, but its strength is the amount of preset and customizable filters that can be added to any photo. It even allows you to create your own filters from scratch.
The app does include a Healing tool. However, it's best used for minor imperfections, such as distant objects in the background, rather than to remove people from photos.
This app is excellent for more advanced photo editors who want greater control over their finished product, but it's not nearly as user-friendly as PhotoDirector.
- Includes classic editing tools such as crop, straighten, and sharpen, as well as filters, frames, text, and vignettes
- Able to make very fine adjustments and customize most of the features that are offered
- Allows you to undo or adjust a specific edit at any time in the process
5. Adobe Photoshop Fix - Best for Existing Adobe Users
PhotoShop Fix wasn't designed to add filters or effects to your photos, but it's a great option for fixing minor imperfections and touching-up portraits.
Along with a handful of other editing tools, the Spot Heal feature can be used to remove any unwanted objects. It can handle more minor details, such as blemishes, but can also tackle larger challenges like when you need to remove a person from photos.
Even though the app is free to download, the biggest downside is that you're required to sign up for an Adobe ID, so this app is most useful for those who already have one. Many users also report frequent crashes with this app, so it's something to be aware of.
- Can change facial expressions, clone objects, reduce red-eye, and make other basic edits such as sharpening, lightening, etc.
- For users with an existing Adobe Creative Cloud account, the finished photos will be synced across all devices
6. PhotoRetouch-Object Removal - Best for Quick Edits
This app as the name implies mainly focuses on the removal of objects or tools to remove people from photos. Besides this feature, the app also offers quite unique skin and body editing features such as lengthening your legs or adding muscles and expanding certain parts of your body.
However, the UI is not as user-friendly as other apps on this list, as the feature names tend to be cut off, making it hard to read what each icon stands for. Another downside is that the object removal feature doesn’t automatically recognize people or objects in the photo. So to remove a person from photos, you have to manually use a brush tool to select the object you want to remove.
PhotoRetouch-Object Removal is an app most suitable for people who want a combination of features such as object removal and beautifying tools to create their own perfect photo.
- Includes extensive beautifying tools and a beauty camera
- Offers basic video editing tools as well, such as cropping, filters, and speed adjustments
- Includes clone stamps to get rid of blemishes
7. PhotoRetouch : Remove Objects - Best for Beginners
This app has a very simple UI with all the essential features listed as categories on the homepage. You can edit a video, remove watermarks on a photo, or remove a person from photos.
As for the removal tool, the app offers two options: Intelligent and Advanced. The difference between both is that with the intelligent feature, you use a block instead of a brush to select the area you want to remove. Our recommendation is to use the Advanced option to remove people from photos.
The app is very simple, and so is the removal feature. Don’t expect very accurate results, as the removed object can leave behind obvious traces. So when you remove a person from photos there might be some traces of him or her left behind. Something else that might be disturbing is the frequent video ads that interrupt editing at awkward times.
- Simple UI with most essential features listed at one glance
- Intelligent and Advanced options to remove people from photos
8. Remove Objects - Best for Simple Photos
This is a straightforward app with a minimalist interface. There are no fancy bells or whistles. The app only offers a bare-bones feature to remove people from photos, which is ideal if that’s all you need.
The app links seamlessly with your phone’s Photo app and photo albums. The eraser function is easy to use and works similarly to others on this list. However, the removal feature might leave traces when you remove a person from photos if there is clutter in your photos.
This app gets the job done if you have a very simple photo and want to remove an object or person. But for more precise edits, other apps in this list with more robust A.I. might be a better choice.
- Barebones app that only includes a feature to eliminate objects or remove people from photos
- Simple interface and easy to use
9. Lightleap - Best for Photo Retouching
Lightleap is a multi-purpose photo editing app. It features photo filters to change the mood of your photos, A.I. photo effects like sky replacement, and tools to eliminate objects or remove people from photos.
The “Heal” tool to get rid of objects or remove a person from photos also works as a photo retouch tool. It allows you to select and erase people and things in your background or foreground and smooth over bumps, blemishes, or other unwanted photo irregularities.
Once you open the “Heal” tool, the app guides you through all the “do’s and don’ts” related to object or people removal. So if you’re not confident in your abilities, the app acts as an excellent guide to walking you through the process.
Like most multi-purpose photo editing apps, Lightleap has free and premium versions to unlock all the features. While its features are good quality including its tools to remove people from photos, it lacks the total amount of features required to make it a truly comprehensive photo editing app.
- Simple how-to tutorials for learning best practices of features
- Visually pleasing user interface
10. Object Removal - Retouch Tunes - Best for Advanced Removal
Object Removal - Retouch Tunes comes with a simple UI and tools to eliminate objects or remove people from photos. It also offers basic photo editing tools such as cutout, collage, and beautifying features.
The app categorizes its removal tool into four sections: Remove Object, People, Text, or Line. It works with 2 different AI algorithms. As for the results, objects in front of simple backgrounds are removed easily and without almost any trace. However, if the person or object stands in front of a more complicated building or background, the tool to remove people from photos won’t be as accurate and will leave the background obviously duplicated.
The app is free to use for 7 days after downloading. However, users must first subscribe to enjoy the trial period.
- Extensive tools and features to get rid of objects and text or to remove people from photos
- Basic photo editing features are included
Try the Best App to Remove People From Photos: PhotoDirector
There's nothing worse than having a photobomber ruin a perfect shot. Luckily, you can easily remove people from photos without needing to be an expert-level photo editor.
PhotoDirector is a powerful app that combines photo editing and enhancement tools, all for free on Android and iOS. You can use it to remove people from photos and automatically replace the selected area, even against complex backgrounds.
How to Remove People from Photos with PhotoDirector
Removing people from photos with PhotoDirector couldn’t be easier.
If you’re ready to get started, here’s how to do it:
- Download the best app to remove people from photos - PhotoDirector. The app is available for free on iPhone or Android. So head over to the App Store or the Google Play Store to download it instantly. It’s the best free app to remove a person from photos."
- Tap "Removal" and apply the mask to the area of your photo you want to remove.
Removing People from Photos FAQ
1. What Is the Best App To Remove a Person from Photos?
PhotoDirector is the best app to remove a person from photos due to its ease of use, intuitive UI, the precision and effectiveness of its AI tools, and the fact that it is completely free with absolutely no distracting ads. If you want to remove people from photos easily and quickly, PhotoDirector is the best option available.
2. How Do I Remove People from Photos?
It’s easy to remove a person from photos using PhotoDirector. Once you download the app from the App Store or Google Play Store, tap “Edit,” choose a picture, and then tap “Tools.” Then, tap “Removal” and select the area to remove a person from the photo. You can then use the “Eraser” tool for any further touch ups so that the end result is perfect.
3. When Will I Need To Remove People from Photos?
Have you ever tried to capture a beautiful moment only to have it sabotaged by someone who photobombs or by other people doing something undesirable in the background?
In the past, there was no way to get around a photobombed photo. However, with AI-driven photo editing features like those in PhotoDirector, you can remove a person from photos easily in pictures that are photobombed or in pictures with something else off that you don’t notice right away.
PhotoDirector is the go-to photo editor app to remove a person from photos thanks to its powerful features and straightforward interface.
4. What Is the Best Software to Remove People From Photos?
If you want to eliminate objects or remove people from photos quickly and easily with a laptop or desktop computer, we recommend using the programs below:
- PhotoDirector 365
- Adobe Photoshop
5. What Other Features Should I Look For in an App That Removes People From Photos?
The top ten features you should look for:
- Sharpness Settings
- Exposure Settings
- Blur Tool
- Clone Tool
- Light Effects
- Overlays & Filters
- Animated Effects
- Portrait Tools
- Background Replacement
If you’re looking for an app that checks all of these boxes, we recommend PhotoDirector.
You May Also Like:
Professional Grade Video Editing.
The Best Photo Editing Software for Windows and Mac!