How to Record Your Screen on Windows
Do you need to capture your screen for a work presentation or create a helpful how-to video for YouTube? Perhaps you want to share your best moments from your gaming sessions. Using a screen recorder is the best way to accomplish all of the above.
There is a wide range of screen recorders on the market, and each one offers unique benefits and drawbacks. With so many options available, selecting one that meets your needs and system requirements is critical. For the best results, you need to focus on screen capture software that is easy to learn and use, especially if you don’t have a background in video creation.
The quality of your recordings is another important thing to consider. If you select unreliable software, you may experience lagging audio and low-resolution video quality. Your software may also lack the functionality and shareability you need.
This guide discusses how to record your screen and create high-value, shareable video content.
- The Best Screen Recording Features
- How to Screen Capture on Windows
- How to Use Screen Recorder 4
- How to Record Your Screen and Webcam
- How to Add an Overlay While Recording
- Streaming to Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook
- The Benefits of Screen Recorder 4
- Screen Recording FAQ
The Best Screen Recording Features
Before discussing how to capture your screen, we should look at what you want from a screen recorder. Ideally, you want a product that offers high-quality screen recording, editing, and sharing.
Screen Recorder 4, the screen capturing software available with PowerDirector, offers a comprehensive range of screen capturing and video sharing features in one user-friendly application.
As a versatile solution for recording and streaming video, this robust program allows you to customize controls, integrate webcam commentary, and share content with your audience.
If you are looking for the best combination of video editing and easy screen recording, download PowerDirector 365 with Screen Recorder 4 included.
PowerDirector is an award-winning video editor, and no other screen recorder comes with a better editor in terms of usability and features.
The key screen recording and editing features you get with Screen Recorder 4 include:
Chroma key engine: Along with capturing your screen, you can also record webcam footage and commentary. The chroma key effect allows you to replace your webcam background with a custom, creative image.
Add video overlays to recordings: Video overlays are images you can add to your screen recordings or webcam video feed. Content creators often use this feature to promote sponsors, add watermarks to their projects, or brand their videos.
Customizable hotkeys: By customizing keyboard hotkeys, you can easily carry out actions such as pausing a stream, taking screenshots, muting, and turning your webcam on without using your mouse.
Record from any external device: With Screen Recorder 4, you can connect a device, such as a microphone or gaming console, to your PC via HDMI or USB and use it to record content.
User-friendly UI: Screen Recorder 4’s most notable feature is a highly intuitive editor thanks to PowerDirector, making it easy to learn and use. You can use this editor to import video clips and add titles, transitions, and other effects. You can also add audio tracks to the editing timeline.
Real-time previews: With the webcam preview feature, you can see what your feed looks like before you start recording. You can also preview your microphone’s audio levels and make quick audio adjustments.
How to Screen Capture on Windows
Screen Recorder 4 is one of the easiest screen capturing products to use, even if you have no video production and editing experience. Below, we look at how you can use Screen Recorder 4 to record, share, and stream your screen content with your audience.
How to Use Screen Recorder 4
With Screen Recorder 4, you can record your entire screen or customize the size of the screen capture area. The full-screen option records your entire desktop. The recorder will automatically change to the “record a custom area” option if you try to adjust the screen capture area.
To record at full screen, open PowerDirector, and under the “Plugins” menu, choose “Screen Recorder.” Then, select the “Full Screen” recording option under the Record tab. Choose the resolution and framerate of the video you want to record from the respective dropdown menus.
With the Time Limit option, you can pre-set the recording time before you click the recording button. You can also click the Preview button to see what your recording looks like before you start.
How to Record Your Screen and Webcam
You can record a feed from your webcam along with all the screen recording options this program has to offer, including:
- Full-screen recording
- Game recording
- Lock to app recording
- Custom screen size recording
- Connected device recording
After selecting your screen recording option from the Record tab, open the Preference window by tapping the icon that looks like a gear. Then, click on Webcam.
- Select the webcam feed’s resolution and frame rate from the dropdown menus. Click on the preview button to adjust the webcam window’s position and size. If you have a background with a solid color, such as a green screen, you can use the Chrome Key option to replace your background with a custom image.
How to Add an Overlay While Recording
You can add an overlay as a BMP, GIF, PNG, or JPG image to your video during a recording. Examples of video overlays include logos or watermarks.
To add a picture in picture (PiP) image to your video. Click on the plus sign next to the Video Overlays button, which looks like two little snowflakes inside a box.
- Click on Insert Image in the Video Overlays window, and open the image file on your computer. After importing the image from your computer, you can adjust its opacity in the Video Overlays window, changing it into a watermark.
Streaming to Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook
If you purchase Screen Recorder 4 separate from PowerDirector, you can stream a video of your screen or game console directly to Twitch, YouTube, or Facebook. The streaming process for each platform is similar.
First, choose your recording option (full screen, custom area, etc.) from the Record tab. Then, click on the Stream tab and select the platform to which you want to stream. For example, if you want to stream your video to Facebook, check the box above the Facebook logo.
Next, click on Login and follow the instructions to sign in to your Twitch, YouTube, or Facebook account. After logging in, click on the settings menu to set the following options:
- Video title and description
- Privacy settings
- Video resolution and frame rate
- The URL for your live stream
- Feed settings from your webcam, microphone, and video overlays
Check the Save Streamed Video to Disk option if you want the stream to record to your hard drive. The video file will save in your export folder for upload to another platform.
To start streaming your screen, click on Live. When you finish your live stream, click Stop or use the assigned hotkey.
The Benefits of Screen Recorder 4
Before you can record and stream video from your desktop, you need a program compatible with your system, which offers all the recording, editing, and casting features, you need.
Screen Recorder 4 offers all the screen recording options you need, including built-in screen recording, custom screen size recording, game recording, and recording from a connected device.
You can also record from your webcam and microphone while you screen capture. You can add a video overlay, such as a watermark or logo, and with the chroma key feature, you can change backgrounds with solid colors into customized backgrounds.
The Screen Recorder 4 interface is highly intuitive, and you should have no problem navigating the different options and settings to create a high-quality, professional video. With the customizable hotkeys, you can program your keyboard for commands such as starting and stopping recordings, muting and unmuting your mic, or taking a screenshot.
Screen Recorder 4 allows you to preview every element of your video, including the webcam feed, video overlay, and microphone volume.
Screen Recording FAQ
1. How do you screen record on your iPhone?
To record the screen on your iPhone, follow these steps.
Step 1: Go to Settings > Control Center, then select the green icon next to Screen Recording. This will add the Screen Recording feature to the Control Center.
Step 2: Open Control Center, tap the Screen Recorder icon and then wait for the countdown of three seconds.
Step 3: Once you’ve finished with your recording, simply tap the red bar at the top of your screen and select Stop.
For a complete step-by-step guide, check out our article How to Screen Record on iPhone.
2. How do you screen record on your Android?
The screen recording process is roughly the same across Android devices.
- Swipe down twice and long-press the edit button/icon. Drag the Screen Recorder tool to the Quick Settings menu.
- Swipe down twice to access the full Quick Settings menu and select the Screen Recording tool.
- Choose the Screen Recorder tool and tap Start.
- Once you’ve finished with your recording, swipe down and tap the Screen Recorder notification.
For a complete step-by-step guide, check out our article How to Screen Record on Android [Step by Step Guide].
3. How do you record your screen with sound on your iPhone?
To record the screen on your iPhone with audio, follow these steps.
- Go to Settings > Control Center, then select the green icon next to Screen Recording. This will add the Screen Recording feature to the Control Center.
- Open Control Center, tap the Screen Recorder icon, and select the red microphone icon to start recording external sound.
- Tap Start Recording
How do I record full screen on Windows 10?
Windows 10 comes with a built-in Screen Recorder, accessed through the Xbox Game Bar. While this feature is designed for gamers, you can also utilize it for other tasks.
Unfortunately, Xbox Game Bar’s feature set is limited, and there are reports of inconsistent performance. Furthermore, Xbox Game Bar lacks the full functionality you expect from a dedicated screen recorder. For a reliable, feature-rich product, we recommend Screen Recorder 4.
4. Can I use Zoom to record a video?
Users with a free Zoom account can record the audio and video from their Zoom meetings and save the file on their computer. Users with a premium Zoom account can upload their Zoom meetings to the Zoom cloud and retain timestamps, participant names, and audio transcription features.
5. Why doesn't my PowerPoint have a screen recorder?
If the Screen Recording tab isn't visible, you will need to enable the Recording Tab within PowerPoint.
- Click on File > Options.
- With Options open, click on Customize Ribbon.
- Under Main Tabs, click the checkbox next to Recording.
- Click OK.
6. How do you record your screen in PowerPoint?
To record your screen in PowerPoint, follow these steps.
- Open a new or existing presentation.
- On the Insert tab of the ribbon, select Screen Recording.
- On the Control Dock, click Select Area and highlight the part of your screen you want to record.
- Click Record to start. Use the Pause and Stop controls as needed.