The Best Video Editing Apps for Your Instagram Posts
Influencers and casual users alike are on the hunt for the best Instagram video editor available. While the phone’s built-in editing tools are useful for quick changes, you may be ready to consider an additional Instagram video editor when you want more control and advanced Instagram effects to take your videos to the next level.
With a wide variety of video editing apps for iPhone and Android, each offering differences in qualities, capabilities, and ease of use, choosing the best app to put videos together isn’t always easy. We’ve done a rundown of the best nine options for iOS, Android, and desktop to find the best editor for Instagram and ensure your videos look great every time.
- How To Edit Your Instagram Post
- Why Use a Video Editing App for Instagram?
- How to Choose a Suitable Video Editing App for Instagram?
- Best Instagram Video Editing Apps for iPhone and Android
- Promeo - Best for Easy Post Creation
- PowerDirector - Best for Professional Edits
- InShot - Best for Beginners
- Funimate - Best for Adding Animations
- iMovie - Suitable for Apple Users
- Download Promeo - The Best Video Editing App for iPhone and Android
How To Edit Your Instagram Post
Editing a video or photo on Instagram to post on your feed is pretty easy. Just follow the below steps to make subtle changes or add stickers and filters to your content:
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile device.
- Tap the small square icon with a plus on the upper right corner of the screen.
- Choose “Post” in the ”Create” tab to edit the video for your Instagram post feed.
- Select the video you want to edit.
- Click on “Next” to go into the editing mode in the app.
- You can now choose to either trim your video to the right length or add music, filters, stickers, text, or sketches to it.
- Once you are done with your edits, you can also update the cover of your post to a more interesting one to catch the eyes of your audience.
- Click on “Share” to post your video to your Instagram feed.
Of course, the editing on Instagram is straightforward and simple to enable anyone on the app to post photos or videos instantly. However, we would still recommend using another app to do the editing. If you are curious why, then read on!
Why Use a Video Editing App for Instagram?
Although looked down on for a long time, Instagram reels have become the new hit among creators of all kinds. They’re not only engaging but also fun to make. However, with more and more creators and businesses jumping on this bandwagon, it’s hard to stand out in the mass of Instagram reels. As avid users of Instagram might know, even though the app offers various effects and filters, it’s still somewhat limiting. Adding effects might also cause a lag in audio in the final reel. That’s why a dedicated video editing app is crucial to ensure smooth editing and to amaze your followers with never-before-seen Instagram effects.
In this article, we curated a list of the most popular video editing apps to create Instagram reels, stories, and general posts.
How to choose a suitable video editing app for Instagram?
There is an immense amount of video editing apps that at first glance seem suitable for editing Instagram reels and posts. However, if you look closer, most don’t offer free trials and some features might not work as advertised. In our list, we focus on apps that have a good reputation in the Instagram community and deliver sought-after effects suitable for reels like a big variety of custom text captions, filter effects like glitch or VHS, and a library of great royalty-free stock content.
Best Instagram Video Editing Apps for iPhone and Android
1. Promeo - Best for Easy Post Creation
- Equipped with many photo and video templates designed for Instagram
- Extensive video, photo, and music library provided by Shutterstock
- Preset color schemes
- Direct upload to Instagram
Promeo is an easy-to-use video and photo editing app, specifically created to make posting on social media as easy as possible. It comes with a big library of post templates created by professional designers. Customizing these templates can be done in 3 or fewer steps, depending on your needs. You can choose to either use your own photos or videos, or you can download media from the stock library with content provided by Shutterstock.
A big plus is that Promeo provides over 100 fonts you can choose from - far more than what Instagram provides. This and the bigger selection of filters separates you from the competition on Instagram and ensures your posts catch the eyes of your followers.
2. PowerDirector - Best for Professional Edits
- Navigate the app and edit with ease, no matter your skill level.
- Available for use on iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.
- Enjoy countless visual and audio effects, along with monthly design additions.
- Hundreds of free background music tracks, sounds, and design templates are included in the app.
- Access professional stock photos, videos, and music through CyberLink’s royalty-free stock library, powered by Shutterstock.
The PowerDirector App is an easy-to-navigate editing app for users of all experience levels. Creating Instagram videos in the app is simple by allowing you to easily trim, color correct, and add effects before publishing directly to Instagram. With this app, you can use a myriad of advanced effects including green screen and chroma key, layer effects, and blending as well as export capabilities of up to 4K resolution Beyond the basic video editing capabilities, the PowerDirector app offers extensive editing tools such as video stabilizing, brightness, color, and saturation controls, pristine transitions with drag-and-drop ease, and PIP overlays.
The PowerDirector app has all of the standard sizings for all of the Instagram media types including feed posts, stories, and reels, all formatted to easily export with your effects and edits. With the variety of features included with the PowerDirector Premium subscription, it gets more expansive, with exclusive effects and stock media content alongside professional editing tools. Additional templates and monthly updates of design and music packs make the PowerDirector app an evolving and exciting experience suitable for editors of all skill levels.
Download the PowerDirector app for iOS or Android and get started making professional-quality content for your Instagram followers. Whether you’re an influencer or enjoy sharing photos and videos with family and friends, the PowerDirector app is an easy way to create impressive videos on the go.
3. InShot - Best for Beginners
Compatibility: iOS, Android
- Easily share stories and feed videos directly to Instagram.
- Available for iOS and Android users.
- Customize video with text and stickers.
- In-app purchase removes ads and watermarks.
InShot’s versatility makes it a common choice for iPhone and Android users. You can edit Instagram feed and story videos on the go with the beginner-friendly app. Basic editing features allow you to cut, trim, and split videos and adjust frame size for feed and story. While the on-the-go ease is convenient, InShot is limited in its features, resulting in reduced customization, and doesn’t include access to royalty-free sounds and music, which means that you may not have many options for background music.
4. Funimate - Best for Adding Animations
Compatibility: iOS, Android
- Create customized edits and special effects on your Instagram videos.
- Available for iOS and Android users.
- Share videos directly to Instagram for quicker uploads.
Funimate may lack color correction and technical editing tools, but the app’s customization capability almost makes up for it. Focusing on animations and special effects, Funimate results in flashy videos that will catch your followers’ attention. The app is perfect for video editors with more experience, allowing you to create your own effects and animations and personalize your videos.
There is a bit of a learning curve for beginners, which makes Funimate more suitable for experienced content creators or people who don’t mind a more intricate creation process. A secondary app may be necessary for additional editing, such as color correction, removing backgrounds and shadows, or filters.
5. iMovie - Suitable for Apple Users
- Beginner-friendly and free for Apple users.
- Available on iOS and macOS.
- Enjoy customizable themes and templates to make Instagram video editing simple.
Apple users are generally well-acquainted with the iMovie app. The free video editing app makes it a breeze to edit Instagram reels, feed videos, and stories on your phone. With 14 customizable templates and eight themes to choose from, iMovie’s beginner-friendly interface comes stocked with all the editing tools you need to create captivating videos. Built-in green screen effects are an added bonus, allowing you to adjust backgrounds and make your videos pop.
While the simplified features and editing options make iMovie suitable for beginners, more experienced editors or those seeking greater customization may prefer another editing software.
Download Promeo - The Best Video Editing App for iPhone and Android
Upgrade your Instagram feed with the best video editor for Instagram!
Instagram offers substantial but limited editing within the app. If you want Instagram effects that make your profile pop, it’s time to choose an Instagram video editor. While each has its own benefits, Promeo offers unrivaled on-the-go integration, a user-friendly interface, and professional results that will stand out to your Instagram followers. Even if you’re a beginner, the Promeo app is easy to use, while the results outshine other videos in your feed. If you’re ready to lay the pathway to Insta-fame or delight your loved ones with your latest creation, download the Promeo app and get started today.
1. What is the best photo editing app for Instagram?
Selecting a good photo editing app for Instagram can be tough due to the many choices available in the app stores. If you are looking for a simple app that doesn’t require you to subscribe before trying it out, we recommend PhotoDirector. Find out here how you can elevate your Instagram feed with features that make the integrated Instagram tools and effects pale in comparison.
2. What app do Instagram influencers use?
The secret to popular Instagram posts lies in the editing. Sometimes post-production can take even more time than the actual shooting of the video or photo. Luckily, nowadays you don’t have to have a big budget anymore to use the same tools many popular influencers are using to edit their videos or photos. If you are curious about which apps popular Instagrammers use to perfect their feed and reel aesthetic, we have compiled a list for you here.