Fascinating Overlay Effects You Can Apply to Photos
Adding a fascinating overlay effect such as VHS overlay to your photos can transform them from boring to fabulous in seconds. With PhotoDirector, adding elaborate overlay effects to your best selfies and pictures is super easy! Read on to learn how to apply fascinating overlay effects to your next selfie.
- PhotoDirector: The Best Free App For VHS Overlay Effects
- How To Apply Overlay Effects to Photos
- Why PhotoDirector Is the Best App For Applying Overlay Effects
- 3 Best Overlay Effect Apps
- Download PhotoDirector: The Best Photo Editing App For Overlay Effects
- FAQs About Overlay Effects
PhotoDirector: The Best Free App For VHS Overlay Effects
PhotoDirector is a user-friendly photo-editing app to easily edit pictures with professional results. Overlaying is one of the app's many effects, which include adding glitch-like visuals, inverting the colors, and adding rays of sunlight. Find out how to edit your photo with overlay effects and surprise your friends with unique pictures!
How To Apply Overlay Effects to Photos
Overlaying is as simple as adding a layer to a picture, but most apps will take a lot of time and effort to do this. PhotoDirector will allow you to apply the effect in only a few steps. Here is how to use this effect for your next photo.
- Download an App With an Overlay Effects Feature – PhotoDirector
- Import an Image From Your Library or a Stock Gallery
- Tap Effect and Choose From Different Overlay Effects
- Adjust the Overlay Effect Settings
- Save and Share With Others
Step 1 — Download an App With an Overlay Effects Feature – PhotoDirector
Step 2 — Import an Image From Your Library or a Stock Gallery
Finding the perfect picture to apply the overlay effect to might take a long time. Choose from your photo library or try one of the many stock images available in the PhotoDirector stock library powered by Shutterstock, Unsplash, and iStock.
The best photos to apply overlay effects to are those with a clear background so that you can center all the attention on the subject.
Read more about overlay effects:
Step 3 — Tap Effect and Choose From Different Overlay Effects
After carefully selecting the picture you want, you will need to know where to look to find the overlay effect. After choosing the image, you must find the Effects icon on the bottom menu bar. From there, choose from the effects below.
- VHS Overlay
- Choose from 8 different styles of VHS overlay effects
- Drag the slider to increase or decrease noise, distortion, position, and fade
- Glitch Overlay
- 8 different glitch overlay effect styles
- Adjustment features to adjust the overlay effect position and the intensity
- Light Leaks Overlay
- Choose from 16 different types of light hits overlay templates
- Adjust the light's position and the size
- Adjust the softness, brightness, contrast, and color to match your preferences
- Light Ray
- Apply a single source ray or directional light ray
- Adjust the intensity, length, light color, softness, and expansion to match your look
If you want a vintage-looking picture, you can try the VHS overlay effect:
The glitch overlay effect gives you those 3D style effects that make your photos stand out. The glitch overlay effect includes:
If you want a more natural-looking picture, adding the light hits effects will bring just the right amount of brightness to your photo:
You can't always catch that sunshine ray in every photo, but you can still add an overlay effect to get the same look. The light leaks overlay lets you:
Step 4 — Adjust the Overlay Effect Settings
After choosing between the previous four filters, you can also apply an animated overlay effect for an extra special touch. Here is how to use this to impress your friends:
- Select the picture you want
- Tap Live
- Choose Overlays
- Find the perfect animated effect, with options from balloons to sparkles overlays
Step 5 — Save and Share With Others
After applying any overlay effects, you can explore the app and everything it offers. Apply as many filters and adjust them to your liking.
Don't forget to save and export to share with your friends and family on social media!
Why PhotoDirector Is the Best App For Applying Overlay Effects
PhotoDirector is the best option for applying any overlay effects. Its features and free-to-use tools allow anyone to be a professional editor. Find it in your app store and download it to impress your friends.
3 Best Overlay Effect Apps
If you're looking for the best apps for applying overlay effects to your photos, these are our top three:
1. PhotoDirector — The Best Photo Editing App For VHS Overlay Effects
Available for iOS and Android, PhotoDirector is a photo editing app with many overlay effects, filters, and AI effects, not to mention plentiful animated effects to transform your photos in just a few taps.
2. YouCam Perfect — An Awesome Photo App With Insta-Worthy Overlay Effects
3. PicsArt — VHS-inspired Overlay Effects That Throw You Back to the ‘90s
Available for iOS and Android, PicsArt is a photo editing and graphic design app that lets you create fun photo collages and designs with cool overlay effects.
Download PhotoDirector: The Best Photo Editing App For Overlay Effects
FAQs About Overlay Effects
1. What Kind of Overlay Effects Can I Use in PhotoDirector?
PhotoDirector comes with tons of overlay effects, including:
- VHS overlay effect for a vintage-looking picture with grains and noise.
- Glitch overlay effect for a futuristic-looking effect that gives you that 3D look.
- Light hits overlay effect for a blast of light in any of your photos.
- Light ray overlay effect for the perfect sunshine ray in every selfie.
- Rain overlay effect for the most romantic and nostalgic photos.
2. Can You Apply the VHS Overlay Effect to Photos on iPhone/Android?
3. What Is the Best App to Apply the VHS Overlay Effect to Photos?
The best app to apply a VHS overlay effect is PhotoDirector. It’s free and also very easy to use to achieve professional results.