How to Use Chroma Key and Masking to Create Video Effects
Filmmakers across the globe use blue and green screen backgrounds to transport actors out of studios and into outer space, epic battle scenes, or ancient lands. Bands film music videos in front of a solid screen and swap in psychedelic colors and patterns. Your local weather station even uses green and blue screen technology while delivering the morning forecast.
The concept of filming with blue and green screen effects is relatively simple: Filmmakers remove the blue or green background behind the actors, reporters, or objects featured and insert another backdrop in post-production. That said, using professional green screen effects for your next filmmaking project can often require significant skill and experience using editing software.
Not when you use the PowerDirector app, though. No matter if you’re a beginner or advanced filmmaker, you can let your imagination run wild as you insert background images and special effects into your videos that will impress your followers – and maybe even result in a viral TikTok, YouTube, or Instagram video!
In this guide, we’ll break down exactly how to use masking and chroma key to create wow-worthy video effects in the PowerDirector app. Rather than watching countless videos or struggling through the complicated how-to guides that come with other editing software, you can use chroma key green screen effects in minutes, even if you’re brand new to editing.
If you’re ready to enhance your video editing skills with the best visual effects and create footage-on-the-go that stuns your friends, family, and followers online, you’re in the right place!
To get started, first download the PowerDirector app, then follow along to upload, edit, and export your footage in record time.
- What is Chroma Key?
- What is Video Masking Effect?
- How to Use Video Masking and Chroma Key Effects in the PowerDirector App
How to Use Masking Effect and Chroma Key
Using video special effects like masking effects and chroma keying effects may seem like advanced skills, but the PowerDirector app makes it simple to get started creating viral-worthy videos to share on YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok. However, before we dive into your step-by-step guide to using masking and chroma key effects, let’s start by answering the basic questions: What is chroma key and video masking?
What is Chroma Key?
Chroma comes from the Greek word chrôma meaning color. Key, in this context, means something that gives identification and means of gaining control. So chroma key means, in basic terms, color identification and control. When you use chroma key, you identify a color and then remove it.
What is Video Masking Effect?
When you use the masking effect, you use a tool to create a specific area that blocks part of your video or image. Decades ago, filmmakers would use a physical mask or mat to cover sections of their film, revealing only the object of focus. Masking effect video tools also remove areas of your images or video that chroma key can leave behind.
How to Use Video Masking and Chroma Key Effects in the PowerDirector App
While you can master video masking and chroma key on a desktop, the PowerDirector mobile app makes it easy to perform advanced video production strategies with a few taps of the finger.
- After downloading the app, open the editing interface and upload your background footage or image by first selecting the file and then tapping the “+” that appears on the file. After the file uploads, you’ll notice it as the main track at the bottom right of your screen.
- From there, navigate to the “Layers” option on the right menu, below the “Media” selection. A new menu will open, revealing Title, Video, Photo, Sticker, and Overlay options.
- Select “Video,” then navigate to the video file you want to overlay above your background image.
- Press the “Back” arrow at the top left of your screen to return to the main editing interface. There, you’ll see your background image with your video layered above it.
- Use your finger to select the video, revealing options to adjust the size or rotate the footage. If you would like to shrink or expand the size of your video or rotate it to fit your background image, you can.
- After dragging and placing the video footage, click on the image of the pencil at the bottom left of the editing interface. Swipe left until you find the “Chroma Key” option.
- Select “Chroma Key,” then tap the background of your video footage to remove the color.
While chroma key effects tend to work best when your footage features a blue or green background, you can use the effect to remove virtually any type of background color or use the sliding color selector to choose a specific color to remove.
You can also adjust the range of the chroma key effect by sliding the scale to the left or right. If you drag the scale too far to the right, you may risk losing some of your footage’s subject, so aim for a lower number to maintain the integrity of the image.
You can also use the “Denoise” effect to improve any grainy sections of the film. Adjust the denoise level by sliding it to the left or right. Once you’re satisfied with your green screen effect, tap the screen to return to the main editing interface.
Now you can add a mask:
- Scroll to “Mask.”
- After selecting “Mask,” you’ll notice linear, parallel, ellipse, and rectangular masking options. Select the masking effect that suits your video best, then use your fingers to adjust its size and position.
- Additionally, you can use the sliding scale on the right of the screen to bring the mask further inward for a precisely cropped look.
- At this point, you may need to move your footage to the perfect spot on your background image. Simply use your fingers to drag it into the optimal position, then tap the screen to de-select the video.
- Finally, press the “Play” button on the right of your screen to see your masterpiece in motion.
Start Creating Video Effects
At first glance, chroma key and video masking may seem like advanced skills that are far out of reach for beginners. But when you use the PowerDirector app, even the most inexperienced video editor can create viral-worthy videos.
Whether you’re brand new to social media or have built a platform as a successful content creator, your followers demand new, trendy content. Chroma key and video masking tools provide you with endless opportunities to stun, amuse, and inspire your followers. Add a funky background to a dance video, transport your vlogs to outer space, or create viral memes by combining photos, videos, and music.
You don’t need pricy cameras, expensive backdrops, or studios to use chroma keying effects or video masking. You also don’t need to spend hours at your computer either. All you need is the PowerDirector app, your Apple or Android phone or tablet, and your wildest imagination.
Don’t let advanced editing tools intimidate you. Simply download the PowerDirector app, upload your content, and create the next viral TikTok dance, YouTube vlog, or Instagram reel to share with your friends and followers.
Get started today! Click here to download the PowerDirector mobile app and create viral videos in minutes with a few taps of your finger.
Download PowerDirector for FREE and see why PC Mag named it the Best Video Editing Software in the industry.