How To Make YouTube Banners for Free [Step by Step Guide]
Is your YouTube channel getting less attention than it should? If so, it might be time to upgrade your YouTube banner.
Creating YouTube Banners
A YouTube banner or channel art is the large image visible at the top of a YouTube channel. Due to its location and size, the banner is the first thing most people see when they visit a YouTube channel. If your banner fails to make a good first impression, visitors may lose interest in your channel and ignore your videos.
Would you like to learn how to make YouTube banners that are clear and visually appealing? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We are about to introduce you to the best YouTube Banner maker apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac devices.
All the YouTube banner makers that made our list are user-friendly and can create banners that display beautifully on all devices and browsers. By the end of our article, you should have an easy time selecting the ideal YouTube banner maker (free or paid) for upgrading your YouTube channel.
- Best Free YouTube Banner Makers on iOS and Android
- Best Free YouTube Banner Makers on Windows and Mac
- How To Make a YouTube Banner on iOS and Android
- How To Make a YouTube Banner Photo on Windows and Mac
- Best YouTube Banner Maker App Free Download
- YouTube Banner FAQs
- What is a banner image on YouTube?
- How do I make a picture my banner on YouTube?
- What is the pixel size for a YouTube banner?
- How do I change my banner on YouTube?
- How do I delete my banner on YouTube?
- How do I make a YouTube Banner photo collage?
- Where do I find images for YouTube banners?
- What features should I look for in a YouTube banner maker?
- What are some good ideas for YouTube banners?
Best Free YouTube Banner Makers on iOS and Android
If you want a YouTube banner creator that you can use on the go and with minimal hassle, here are the best options for Android and iOS mobile devices.
PhotoDirector is a photo editing app that can produce gorgeous and unique YouTube channel art. Since PhotoDirector is easy to use, you can create a custom YouTube banner within minutes. The app’s drag and drop interface works smoothly on Android and iOS devices.
A paid version of the app is available, but you can use the free version to create YouTube banner art. If you opt for the paid version of PhotoDirector, you will have access to advanced features, such as high-quality stock photos provided by Shutterstock and iStock for creating your YouTube banner.
Besides regular banners, you can use PhotoDirector to create animated YouTube banners. Animated banners are more attention-grabbing and can boost the popularity of your YouTube channel.
2. Banner Maker
Banner Maker, however, works on only Android devices. The app has several features for creating YouTube banners from scratch, but it also includes YouTube banner templates. YouTube banner design templates simplify developing YouTube channel art.
Besides YouTube banners, Banner Maker can make YouTube thumbnails and channel art for other social media platforms. You can use the YouTube banner creator free, but the in-app ads can be a nuisance. If you want an ad-free experience, you can pay for a monthly or annual subscription.
Subscribers also get access to premium channel art templates and graphics.
Snapseed is an Android and iOS YouTube banner generator. It has over 29 tools and filters for editing images to create custom YouTube channel banners. However, the app does not provide stock photo options or banner design templates.
The lack of templates can make using the app difficult, especially if you don’t know how to make YouTube banners from scratch. On the upside, Snapseed is free to use and supports several languages.
Best Free YouTube Banner Makers on Windows and Mac
If you prefer to make YouTube banners on your PC or Mac system, here are the best tools to try:
Whether you are a Windows or Mac user, you will have an easy time using PhotoDirector 365 to create YouTube banners. PhotoDirector 365 is just as user-friendly as its mobile counterpart but offers more image editing tools, including AI support that simplifies creating the most attractive image.
The free version of the software provides everything you need to create YouTube banner backgrounds that best represent your brand. Even better, since PhotoDirector 365 users receive frequent feature and performance updates, you will never get bored with using the tool.
Photoshop is a popular image editing software that can create YouTube banner backgrounds. Windows and Mac versions of the software are available, and each version offers a wide range of tools for creating custom YouTube banners.
However, Photoshop can be difficult to master. The app’s steep learning curve makes it less ideal for users who want a quick and hassle-free YouTube banner generator. Also, Photoshop is pricey and takes up lots of computer storage space.
3. PaintShop Pro
Unlike some other apps on this list, PaintShop Pro only works on Windows 10 and 11 systems. The software offers impressive image editing tools for creating a banner that meets YouTube banner size and format requirements. PaintShop Pro also has AI support that allows you to enhance images with a single click.
Before buying PaintShop Pro, you can take it for a spin with its 30-day free trial. The software also comes with a learning center that offers tutorials on how to bring your YouTube background vision to life.
How To Make a YouTube Banner for Free on iOS and Android
Are you looking for how to make a YouTube banner on iPhone or Android devices? If so, you should download PhotoDirector.
After downloading the app, follow these steps to create your YouTube Banner:
1. Select an Image
Take a picture of yourself or an item that represents your brand. Alternatively, import an image from your phone’s library or use a stock photo from PhotoDirector’s library.
2. Add Text
After selecting an image, add text in your preferred font. You can also add stickers, emoticons, and other extras to spice up your image. Since PhotoDirector has hundreds of fonts and stickers, you should have no trouble finding one that matches your artistic goals.
3. Customize Image
Personalize the image by adding filters and other special effects. Add your logo colors and other elements that users associate with your brand. A well-customized YouTube banner will stand out from the crowd and position your channel to attract high-quality traffic.
4. Resize Image
Use PhotoDirector’s cropping and resizing tool to ensure that your banner is the right size. If the image is too small, it could appear grainy on devices with large screens. The recommended minimum size for YouTube cover art is 2560 x 1440 pixels.
Also, ensure that the important elements of your image are within the safe area of 1546 x 423 pixels. Image items outside this range may not appear on the screens of users viewing your channel on smaller devices.
After editing your image, download your YouTube banner to your device and upload it to YouTube. You can upload the image by going to your YouTube channel homepage, clicking Edit, and choosing Upload Cover Photo. Learn more about how to optimize your YouTube channel here.
How To Make a YouTube Banner Photo on Windows and Mac
If you would like to make your YouTube banner with a more robust image editing software, use PhotoDirector 365 on your Windows or Mac system. The computer version of PhotoDirector offers more tools for enhancing your logo colors, cover art design, and more. Follow these simple steps to create and publish a YouTube banner on a Windows or Mac computer:
1. Download and Open PhotoDirector 365
If you do not have PhotoDirector 365 on your system, you can download it here. After installing the software, open it.
2. Upload Images and Text
You can upload images by dragging the file from its folder and dropping it in PhotoDirector. If you don’t have any images that fit your goals, browse PhotoDirector’s library of top-notch stock images and pick your preferred one.
After uploading your preferred image, you can add text, stickers, and other elements to spice up the image. With PhotoDirector’s AI support, you can improve your image’s overall appearance with a single click. Don’t forget to edit the banner’s size to fit YouTube’s requirements, 2048 x 1152 px with an aspect ratio of 16:9.
3. Add Brand Elements
Add your logo, profile picture, and other brand assets to the image.
4. Publish Your Banner
Upload your customized banner to YouTube by exporting the image to your computer. After downloading the banner to your computer, open the YouTube website, log into your account, and follow these steps:
- Navigate to the top-right menu on the YouTube website and click My Channel.
- Click Add Channel Art. If you already have a banner in place, place your cursor on the existing channel art, click the pencil icon, and tap Edit Channel Art.
- Find your new banner art in the pop-up window that appears and double click on the image.
- YouTube will show a preview of how your banner will appear on different devices. If the image is too big, crop it on YouTube before clicking Select.
- After clicking Select, the system will upload and place your new banner over your channel.
Best YouTube Banner Maker App Free Download
The right YouTube banner can help you stand out from the legion of YouTubers vying for the same audience. A quality banner will also make your channel aesthetically pleasing. The more visually appealing your channel is, the more traffic and subscribers it can attract.
Which app is the best for practicing everything you’ve learned about how to make YouTube banners? We recommend using PhotoDirector to create your YouTube banners. The app simplifies YouTube channel art creation and equips you to create any banner type you want.
Also, since PhotoDirector delivers high-quality images, your visitors will be able to appreciate every detail within the banner. Free versions of PhotoDirector are available for Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows users, and they are all easy to use.
Unlike other free YouTube banner makers, PhotoDirector is free for life. However, if you want more creative assets and access to the stock library, consider paying for a PhotoDirector subscription.
Are you ready to create your first YouTube banner? Get started by downloading PhotoDirector free here today.
YouTube Banner FAQs
1. What is a banner image on YouTube?
A YouTube banner image or channel art is the first thing visitors see after landing on your YouTube channel. Like cover photos on LinkedIn, Facebook, and other social media platforms, you can find a YouTube banner at the top of a channel homepage. Adding the right YouTube channel art can make your page more distinctive, professional, and engaging.
2. How do I make a picture my banner on YouTube?
You can use any image for a YouTube banner as long as it’s the right size, minimum dimensions of 2048 x 1152 px with an aspect ratio of 16:9, and a JPG, PNG, BMP, or GIF image.
- Open your YouTube channel account
- Click on Customization from the list on the left of the screen
- Select Branding
- Under Branding, choose Upload and select your preferred photo
- The system will upload your picture and save it
3. What is the pixel size for a YouTube banner?
YouTube recommends using a banner image with at least 2048 x 1152 pixels. The image should also be less than 6MB. For the best results, we recommend using a cover art that is 2560 x 1440 pixels.
If you use an image that exceeds our recommendation or is lower than YouTube’s recommendation, the banner may not display correctly. For example, if the image is too large, YouTube may crop it to fit the banner space. Uploading an undersized image may lead to a blurry banner, which could negatively affect your brand and turn off visitors.
4. How do I change my banner on YouTube?
Follow these steps to replace your current YouTube banner with an Android or iOS device:
- Log into your YouTube account
- Click your profile picture and navigate to My Channel
- Click Edit Channel and select Banner Image
- Select an image from your library or take a new picture
- Edit the size of the image to fit the recommended format and click Done
- Click Save after uploading your new picture
If you are on a computer, change your YouTube banner by:
- Opening your YouTube account
- Logging into YouTube Studio
- Navigating to the left menu and selecting Customization, then Branding
- Pressing Change and choosing an image
- Editing the size of the image to fit the recommended format and clicking Done
- Selecting Publish to complete the process
5. How do I delete my banner on YouTube?
YouTube currently does not offer the option to delete a banner, but you can change your banner. If you want to remove your current banner, upload an all-black or white image. You can do this by following these steps:
- Open your YouTube account and log into YouTube Studio
- Navigate to the left menu and select Customization, then Branding
- Click Change and choose an all-white or black image from your library
- Click Done and Publish to complete the process
6. How do I make a YouTube Banner photo collage?
Create a photo collage with PhotoDirector by:
- Downloading and opening the PhotoDirector app
- Selecting Collage from the main screen
- Selecting the photos that you want in your collage
- Choosing a PhotoDirector collage template that fits your project
- Customizing the number of frames to add to each photo
- Adding text, stickers, or animation, and editing the image to enhance its look
- Exporting the collage
After saving the collage on your system, you can upload it to your YouTube channel and save it as your banner.
7. Where do I find images for YouTube banners?
You can use images stored on your computer or mobile device library. If you need more exciting images, get them from PhotoDirector’s stock library, which contains millions of royalty-free images from Shutterstock and iStock.
8. What features should I look for in a YouTube banner maker?
The best YouTube banner makers have these features:
- User-friendly interface
- Affordable price
- Image editing tools
- Stock photo or banner template gallery
- JPG, PNG, BMP, and GIF support
- Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows versions
9. What are some good ideas for YouTube banners?
Below are some ideas that you can incorporate into your next YouTube banner:
- Put your brand tagline or slogan in the banner
- Use your brand colors in your banner
- Layer in shapes and colors to make your banner distinctive
- Add a call to action
- Use an animated image in the banner