10 Best Video Filter Apps [iOS & Android]
Are you dissatisfied with the look of your videos? There's no need for expensive software and time-consuming edits. With a top-notch video filter app, you can improve your footage with just a few taps.
- What are the most popular video filters?
- Can I make my own video filters?
- Can I use video filters on my Windows PC or Mac?
What is a Video Filter?
A video filter is a tool for editing the look of videos post-shoot. With a high-quality video filter app, you can change the color, tone, and even the style of your footage.
For example, if your video looks lackluster, or if you want the video to look vibrant or retro, you don't have to shoot the video from scratch. The right video filter app can transform your footage to suit your vision.
However, there's no shortage of video filter apps for Android and iOS devices out there. Picking the right one can be tricky. To help you find the best video filter app for your needs, we rounded up and reviewed the top ten video editing apps on the market. Let's dive in.
Best Video Filter Apps
PowerDirector is the most robust and user-friendly video editor on the market. The app is free to download for Android or iOS and you can use it to create Hollywood-quality videos with ease.
It has an extensive filter library with constant updates so there are always new looks to try. A few of the most recent filter sets to be released are Cyberpunk, Color Pop, Retro, and Beauty.
Over 100 million people have already downloaded this video editor and it's a Google Editors' Choice.
- Video stabilization
- Chroma key
- Blending effect
- Motion tracking
- Video collages
- Green screen editing
- Multi-track editing and timelines
- Encoding and exporting
- The free version has everything you need to make a top-notch video
- PowerDirector regularly updates its features and adds more filters
- User-friendly and suitable for beginner and professional movie makers
- More features than other video editing apps
- Some users may find the massive range of editing tools overwhelming
VidTrim is a simple editor with basic features for cropping videos and adding filters to improve footage quality. Some of the app's video filters include black and white, vignette, and vintage. There is a free version of the app, but the paid version is better for an ad-free experience.
- Video trimmer tool
- Video merge
- Filter effects
- Available in various languages
- Android and iOS app
- No standard timeline for editing
- The paid version only has a few basic video editing tools
- Not ideal for advanced video manipulation
KineMaster allows you to edit videos in several ways. You can add text overlays, audio, images, and more. It's also possible to blend footage and use double exposures to create unique productions. However, mastering the tool can be tricky, and it only offers a few filter options. If you want all the features, you also need the paid version.
- Video trimming and splitting
- Multi-track editing
- Layers and blending modes
- 4K exporting
- Color filters and adjustment tools
- The app can send finished videos directly to YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook
- Interesting visual effect options
- iOS, Android, and ChromeOS app
- The free plan contains ads and has limited features
iMovie is a video editing app that comes preinstalled on iOS and macOS devices. You can also download the app from the App Store. While iMovie has limited video filter effects, the available few are impressive. The app also has an intuitive interface that simplifies editing your footage.
- Dolly zoom effect
- Built-in special effects
- Easy sharing
- Quick learning curve
- Supports 4K video
- Creates professional-looking videos
- Only available for Apple devices
5. Camera Pro
Camera Plus Pro is an iOS video filter app that simplifies creating quality videos for social media. You can edit videos post-shoot or add filters while shooting. It's easy to use and offers many of the same video filters that you can find on Instagram and Snapchat.
- Nine video filters
- Full resolution
- Great for live shooting and editing
- Shares directly to various social media platforms
- Limited features
- No free versions
- Only available for iOS
6. Spark Camera
Do you need a video editor that won't hinder your spontaneous shooting style? If so, Spark Camera comes highly recommended. It's ideal for influencers and other people who make short videos for social media. It might not have editing tools to create Hollywood-quality videos, but you can still get great-looking shots that engage your audience.
- Add and edit video filters
- Video Trimmer
- Add music from iTunes or the in-app library
- It doesn't require a lot of storage space
- Over 20 video filters
- Easy sharing to social media
- Only for iOS
- Some tools are buggy
- Clunky interface
Chromic is popular for its color-correction filters. You can even use the video editing app to brighten videos taken in low light. Filter options include but are not limited to Vintage, Film, Antique, Monotone, and Special Effects. The tool's user-friendly drag-and-drop interface simplifies making your video look its best.
- Eight built-in filters
- Real-time filter preview
- Nine color adjustments
- iOS app
- Impressive color options
- Only available for iOS devices
- Add-ons cost extra
Viddy is primarily a video-sharing app, but it also has an impressive video editor for adding cool video effects and filters. You can manipulate the colors and brightness of your videos so that your final footage looks like you envisioned it. Once your video is ready, you can store it on your device or share it with your Viddy friends.
- Crop and rotate tool
- RGB level adjustment
- Add custom background music
- Sleek interface with optional in-app purchases
- Add filters during shooting
- Fun social media features
- No text or titles
- Some privacy concerns
VivaVideo offers trimming, merging, accelerating, reversing, and slowing down videos. You can also access your mobile device's camera from the app to capture and add filters to footage. It is available on both Android and iOS.
- Full-featured editing tools
- Glitch effect
- Large free music library
- Cool 3D transitions
- Add emojis and text
- Several trendy filters, templates, and effects
- Expansive music library for background sounds
- Multi-track editing
- Five-minute video limits
- The paid version is pricey
Quik from GoPro pulls videos from your smartphone library and automatically creates beautifully edited videos. As an automated movie maker, it can add effects and background music to spice up your videos. Of course, you can also make and edit videos yourself with the Quik app.
- 20 preset themes
- Music library
- Several filter options
- Text duration and color adjustment
- Edits videos from GoPros and other sources
- Auto-generated highlight videos
- The best editing features cost extra
- Auto-edited videos can sometimes look basic
What are the most popular video filters?
PowerDirector, iMovie, and KineMaster are all popular video filter apps. However, PowerDirector is the most downloaded video filter app with over 130 million downloads and thousands of five-star reviews.
Can I make my own video filters?
You could make your own video filters, but it takes time and money. It's more convenient and cost-effective to use the vetted filter options available on a video editing app.
Can I use video filters on my Windows PC or Mac?
Some, but not all, video filter apps have macOS, ChromeOS, and Windows versions. PowerDirector is available on all three.
Best Video Filter App to Download
The best video filter app will provide more than filters. It should have all the features you need to make the best possible videos. While all the video editing tools we covered in this review are impressive, our top pick is PowerDirector.
PowerDirector has a host of filter and video editing options. You can also create hundreds of effects that will help you grab your audience's attention.
Download PowerDirector for your Android or iOS device and try it for free today—there's also a desktop version!